Project Manager (Mixta Africa)
REPORTS TO: Project Director - MAHCS, Country MD
KEY INTERACTIONS: Senior Construction Associate, Senior Procurement and Contracting Associate, Senior Design Associate, Site Construction Associate
OVERVIEW: Oversee the construction and execution phases of all in-country projects
- To lead on all construction aspects of the company’s projects, providing strategic and professional guidance to the construction team
- Ensure optimised process for contracting and project approval
- Reporting to the Company on matters in relation to the performance of projects against contract requirements.
- Oversee the development of designs to ensure they are high quality, in-line with company strategy and delivered on time
- Coordinate with design and construction standards to resolve any design issue arising during construction
- Ensure compliance with design for all projects on construction site.
- Responsible for ensuring that project managers:
- Manage the project team including architects, engineers, workplace consultants, construction managers and administrative support.
- Develop schedules and budgets for assigned projects.
- Identify and evaluates alternative solutions to best meet program goals.
- Prepare detailed construction cost estimates and documentation (e.g. PFR, PAR) for project
- Track contract and construction performance from start till completion
- Participate in or oversee the pre-qualification and bid evaluation process for consultants, contractors, and other outside vendors and selects vendors.
- Ensure all technical work is carried out within the approved budgets
- Assist at all times in maintaining a safe working environment within Company workplaces, and applying the Company Health & Safety Policy for their own, their colleagues, third parties and the public's benefit.
- Capacity investment plans
- Existing capacity allocation plan
- Country operating model plan and review
- Technical 90%
- Administrative 10%
- Cost effectiveness of projects: Proportion of projects at high that were achieved value for money than expected (20%)
- Savings generated- Measured as a % unit cost reduction as compared to budget. (20%)
- Issues causing contract disputes, termination and liquidity before due date-% of contracts with issues arising, disputes, termination and liquidity before due date against procurement’s total signed contracts each year (15%)
- Lead time from Request for Quote to contract award- Shows the lead time from RFQ to award of contract (15%)
Reports and Processes
- Timeliness of deliverables (reports and projects) – percentage of deliverables that are delivered to the target audience as per the agreed deadlines (5%)
- Quality of deliverables – percentage of deliverables that meet or exceed expectation (5%)
- Quality of coordination with relevant departments (5%)
- Feedback – The annual average rating from 360-degree surveys launched (15%)
- Excellent understanding of the construction industry
- Ability to manage several large scale projects at the same time
- Knowledge of key processes and phases in construction (Structure, M&E, Finishing)
- Deep understanding of corporate functions like procurement and contracting, budget and planning, and de-bottlenecking other corporate processes
- Proficient in creating and understanding a planning schedule and work break down structure
- Gathers information nationally and internationally about what could be; visualises the future and assesses what needs to change; thinks strategically, considers wider effects thoroughly, including customers, shareholders and people; promotes and builds enthusiasm for the vision.
- Balances the needs of the stakeholder triangle; assimilates and analyses relevant information; identifies core principles, and applies them consistently to decisions; identifies and mitigates risks; creative in providing solutions; owns decisions.
- Good planning/project management skills
- Exceptional negotiation, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Outstanding people leadership and management skills. Ability to drive change management across the organization
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and oral
- Sets milestones and timeframes to achieve objectives and operational requirements; determines priorities and allocates responsibilities and manages workflow; establishes measures and monitoring systems; monitors unit and individual performance, putting (joint) action plans in place to address areas of non-compliance; anticipates hurdles and has contingency plans to get around them.
■ 10+ construction related experience
■ Undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in an engineering field (structural, electrical, mechanical)
■ An advanced degree in engineering or a related field is also strongly preferred
■ Experience in managing large scale projects within the real estate sector